Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Life: Part 2 (forest-sleep)

Ok, so I’m alone in the woods with no clue how to survive and no one to turn to. I wander around and find a (fortunately bear-free) cave and spend a cold, wet, sleepless night. The next day, I was stumbling around looking for some berries or something to eat or drink when I heard a kind of wet-sounding squeaking. I ran towards it and saw a small furry-looking creature drowning in a river. Of course I jumped in to save it and swam with it back to shore. There, it was straining towards a hole/burrow in a nearby hill. I let it go and it ran to its obvious home. When it went into the hole, another creature came out. Now you must remember that when I was little, I didn’t hear those silly fairy tales about wild animals. If I was lucky, one of the kinder scientists would read me one or two pages of an encyclopedia. So I had nothing to fear from this wolf, for a wolf it was. She (I could tell it was female) looked at me, and started down the hill. I did the only thing I could remember about wolves and rolled over on my back, showing my empty belly to the regal creature. She arrived, sniffed me, and started back up the hill, stopping halfway up to look back, almost saying “are you coming or aren’t you?”. I got up on my feet, half expecting her to run away, but she merely looked and kept walking to the burrow. Since that day, I was pack. I ate with the pack, hunted with the pack, and slept with the pack. Now a wolf sleeps differently than a human or human-raised avian. Instead of the 6 hour comatose state your kind seems to think is sleep, a wolf will turn around a few times and curl up, dozing for a maximum of ten to twenty minutes. After that, the cycle is repeated, from moon-high to sunrise. I still sleep like that. It is much more restful, and this method of sleep is ideal for when anyone is on-the-run. Unfortunately, no one else has caught on yet. 

See Ya!

Storm

No comments: